1. Clean the skin surface of the body area to be treated.
2. Inspect the electrode cords and electrode pads for wear. If they are not in good condition, they should be replaced. If they are acceptable, then insert the cord pins into each electrode pad.
3. Peel away the paper backing of the electrode and place it on the body.
4. Turn each Intensity Control clockwise and SLOWLY increase the intensity level to that recommended by your clinician. Usually, that will mean increasing intensity until you can feel the `tingling' sensation of the stimulation. If any muscles begin to contract, turn down the intensity slightly. (Note: Some forms of treatment may use a slight muscle contraction. Your prescribing clinician will tell you how far they wish you to turn up the intensity).
5. If at any time the electrical stimulation begins to feel uncomfortable, use the Intensity Controls to turn down the intensity or turn the instrument off.
6. After a few minutes, it may seem that the sensation of the stimulation is diminishing. This is entirely normal as your body adapts to the electrical current. Simply increase the Intensity Controls slightly until the stimulation is once again at the proper intensity.
7. If desired, the unit may be attached to your belt or simply hung from your body using a cloth strap. This is a convenient way of continuing treatment while performing your everyday activities.
8. When you are finished using the unit, turn down each Intensity Control until an audible click is heard and the pointer is on the word "OFF". This will conserve battery life. You may now remove the electrode pads from your body.